Free Capital - How 12 private investors made millions in the stock market

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Free Capital - How 12 private investors made millions in the stock market

Post  Marty on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 pm

I haven't read this but looks like it could be an interesting read.

http://www.guythomas.org.uk/investment/freecap.php

Last edited by MartyWidget on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marty

Back to top Go down

Re: Free Capital - How 12 private investors made millions in the stock market

Post  yojimbo23 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 am

i came across this guy's blog

http://guythomas.org.uk/blog/

and thought it looked quite interesting. Have ordered the book off Amazon so will let you know what I think when I read it.

yojimbo23

Back to top Go down

Review?

Post  truegrittrader on Fri May 06, 2011 11:54 pm

How is the book going, any good?
truegrittrader

Back to top Go down

Post  yojimbo23 on Sat May 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Sorry I have not had a chance to reply sooner. I managed to get round to reading the book on a recent flight.

A very enjoyable and easy read, the book reminded me a lot of Jack D.Schwager's Market Wizards consisting of interviews with a series of investors of different backgrounds (except in this case private investors rather than professionals).

There are 2 appeals on this kind of book to me. It's inspiring to know that 'it can be done' and I find it very interesting to see how a variety of very different approaches can work for people. I think that finding an investment approach that works for you and fits with your strengths is a critical part of being successful. Not sure I've got there yet, but it's an issue I'm conscious of.

Despite the range of interviewees there were a few interesting common themes that stood out to me. Many of them had been investing for several years with little success before finding the right approach for them, several had suffered with some form of long term illness which I found interesting, many were focused on small cap investment (one of the few areas where I think private investors can have an advantage), many had very concentrated portfolios. These last 2 points highlight an issue of survivorship bias though, I'm sure many broke investors also follow these approaches, they are just higher risk.

In amongst this are a few interesting technical nuggets (for example a good one on Kelly criterion and leverage that was new to me) if you like that kind of thing, but the book is mostly quite narrative and not technical. Although a wide variety of techniques are discussed the investors are slanted more towards fundamental analysis types.

All in all I'd recommend it, I'd surprised if most small investors didn't get something out of this and find that they identified with some of the interviewees.

yojimbo23

Back to top Go down

Review appreciated

Post  truegrittrader on Sun May 15, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I impatiently ordered it on Wednesday In the end!! Glad you enjoyed it.

I also purchased the Ronnie burns spreadbet book which arrived Friday, I have already read half of it, sad to say I haven't really learnt much yet. His books would have been perfect a few years ago, would have helped curtail early losses. I just hope the book improves a little, this one may be passed on v quickly.
truegrittrader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum